The Whole Darn Fam.

10:10 AM

On Show Us Your Life today, it's all about family.  So, may I introduce you to my crazy, compassionate, chaotic, and sometimes maddening but always entertaining dad, mom and brother.  They are part of the reason why I am still searching for my sanity.


My dad's name is Randy.  Cameryn calls him Papa.  He's brilliant and successful.  He lives in Vietnam (which is much too far away!) and I doubt that he will ever live stateside again. 


Growing up my dad called me his "Little Doll."  We used to hold hands and skip through parking lots.  He can fix anything.  He is one of the most giving people that I have ever met and is totally devoted to his family and taking care of them. He's the one that I call when I am crying so hard that I cannot breathe, when I am so angry that fire is coming out of my ears.  Music has always been a huge part of my life and when I think about my dad I think of an old Holly Dunn song:

"I remember Daddy´s hands, folded silently in prayer.
And reaching out to hold me, when I had a nightmare.
You could read quite a story, in the callouses and lines.
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind.
I remember Daddy´s hands, how they held my Mama tight,
And patted my back, for something done right.
There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man,
But I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands."



My mom's name is Vickie.  Cameryn calls her Gramma.  My mom and I were enemies until Cameryn.  Only then did I appreciate all that she did for me and love her for who she is instead of who she is not.  I talk to her almost daily.  She's someone that I am glad to have on my side.  She's had a helluva ride the past few years and is still navigating a way back to herself.  She's strong and stubborn.  She's so unbelievably goofy.  She gets sidetracked easily and cannot sit still.  She's devoted to her family and God.  She never forgets.  Anything.  She's an amazing grandmother and Cameryn absolutely adores her.



My brother is Zach.  He's four and a half years older than me.  Growing up we didn't really fight because we didn't spend a lot of time together.  But, when I was 7 I did beat up one of his friends once.  We're very, very different people.  He's rock and roll while I am lace and fluffy clouds.  My brother once told me that I am everything that he disagrees with.  (Yes, seriously.  Because I ate meat and drank alcohol.  And now... Pot, meet kettle!)  He went to college at Ball State University and then came back to South Carolina to pursue his career in music.  He now teaches music privately and is part of multiple bands.  He's known in SC as the frontman for "The Bitterman" and isn't really as bitter as he pretends to be.  He's really very sensitive and is an amazing father.  I never, ever pictured him as such and I laugh when he calls me about diaper cream.  We're friends now.  I love that.




So, that's us.
The whole damn fam. 
Now, let's go have some blackberry brandy and sing Eagles songs all night (and yes, we really do that too.)


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Instagram