What's at the end of your rainbow?

9:48 AM

Cameryn chose to take cookies for her St. Patrick's Day party at school today.  I thought about just buying some pre-made cookies but what fun is that?  I scoured the cooking sites and found a recipe for Rainbow cookies!  Fun! 

I made the dough on Tuesday night and baked them last night.  I'm not going to lie, they were time consuming, my rainbows weren't perfect, and my hands look like I've been playing in tie dye thanks to all of the food coloring!  Nonetheless, the end result is a plate of the happiest cookies that I've ever seen and a two year old who is very excited to share them with her friends!  Definitely worth it!


(Sorry, once again, I forgot that my camera battery died over the weekend, so these are pics from my phone.)



Ready to bake!




Happy cookies!


I rolled the leftover dough into balls and made these colorful little cookie bites!

Cute, huh?  Another thing about this recipe - The cookies aren't very sweet!  I didn't know that before baking them but I don't mind since my child will come home with a sugar high from all of the junk food today!



Here's the recipe:

Play Dough Cookies (from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • assorted colors of paste food coloring (I used Wilton gel icing colors)

Directions

  1. In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
  2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into fourths. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Working with half of each color, shape each color dough into a rope and form into small rainbows.   Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.
    

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram