WTF Wednesday

11:38 AM

I never, never, never talk about politics because I don't feel as if I really know what the hell I am talking about most of the time.  And, I find people who 'talk politics' all the time can be more than slightly annoying.  I prefer for people to keep their politics out of my Facebook feed, too.

However, today I feel inclined to have a little PSA here because this is my little space on the internet, and simply put, I can.  I'm not backing one candidate or the other here.  I won't tell you who to vote for or who I will be voting for.  I do read everything that I can get my hands on when it comes to standing behind a candidate.  When it is my turn to step into the voting booth, I won't choose by saying eeny-meeny-miny-moe.

First, let me clarify that I understand that the media and the general public make certain issues more relevant than others, that they deliberately use women as a campaign strategy.  I also understand that all of the candidates have personal beliefs that may or may not actually be pushed into law. 

However, women's issues are at the forefront of this election and women's rights are in serious jeopardy [depending on which candidate you listen to.]  I, for one, do not believe that women [today] should have to fight for the same rights that my grandmother once shouted for.  I, for one, do not want my children to have to grow up feeling inadequate and second rate because someone else decided what was best for them. 

Don't get me wrong - nationally, the unemployment rate is still high while graduation rates are at an all time low, and our ongoing conflicts with other countries are maddening.  These statistics alone are absolutely mind numbing and important to our country.  But, if they're going to use women and their rights as a topic of discussion for votes, I have every right, as a woman, to educate myself in order to make the best decision. I encourage you to do the same.

Educate yourselves. Please. Don't vote just to vote. Don't vote for a candidate because they are affiliated with a particular party. Listen, really listen, to what each candidate is saying, figure out what they believe in, see if their beliefs align with yours. If they don't, find another candidate who does.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Instagram